Monday, January 29, 2007

Truth in Chipotle?

Today I have discovered that truth can be found anywhere - and tested anywhere. It seems that absolute truth has been the test of the week. It is great and terrifying all at the same time. Great thinking I passed the test. Terrifying knowing my heart failed. You see this week I got a banking fee. $35 big buckers! It was an unfair fee. I went in the bank to contest it. The manager was so nice but apparently my story was not enough to finish the deal on waving me fee. She said "was your son SICK and that is why you got this fee? (if your son was sick I can automatically give you your money back). "um.... no." I ended up getting the fee reversed. Bank error. It was amazing to me though that a little lie could be worth $35. Then today Kurto calls from Chipotle. It is free burrito day if you can prove you go to the gym. Now I love Chipotle. So does Israel. We even dressed up on Halloween as burritos to get free ones. We had foil heads and all. So my first thought was "where did I put my old YMCA card? & maybe Izzy's card too!!!" My next thought was "what am I thinking? That is lying". Now I didn't lie either one of these times. I didn't go through with the lie that is. It was in my heart. That is the terrifying part. The part that makes me fear God. "The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward but the Lord looks at the heart". I Sam16:7 It was my heart that failed although my actions & words did not. If it is the heart that God judges then I am in big trouble. I started thinking this one through. Thinking and thinking. These little things: $35, free Chipotle are just test. What comes down the road? What can God trust me with? How much will my heart say yes to Him immediately? What happens when it is food or starvation? or Death or Life? These are the things that I am thinking through. I know it is good to not act out the sin but I still know it is bad to even think the sin. I do not wish to be a whitewashed tomb. "You have heard it said 'Do not commit adultery. But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell." Matt 5:27 The bad news is that I cannot literally throw away my heart, or my eyeball. (or perhaps that is good news too.) I must simply renew them on a continual basis. I must be actively in communion with God. "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good pleasing and perfect will" Rom12:12 This is the wonderful hope. To be able to know his will not only in actions but in spirit and truth. It is through His Spirit transforming my mind that my actions will match my heart and my heart will be aligned with His heart. This is beautiful.

No comments: