Monday, January 02, 2012

In 2011 I was reading...


These are the books that I read in 2011.
1. The Treasure Principle by Randy Alcorn. This is a must read book on tithing, money, poverty mentality, the Gospel & finances. I loved it!!!
2. Growing Up Amish by Ira Wagler. This book was a true story and documented the life of a boy who grew up in the Amish community. It was eye opening to the very bondage of legalism that the Amish walk out on a daily basis.
3. The Girl In A Green Sweater: A Life in Holocaust's Shadow by Krystyna Chiger, Daniel Paisner. This book I finished at the beginning of the year. It is haunting & beautiful. The story of a family that survives the Holocaust by living in the sewer for over a year.
4. Water For Elephants. The story in this book was well written but too racy for me. I wanted to finish what was a very good story so I read the entire book. I cannot recomend it but it was in my list of what I read. I also struggle with how the story has a "happy ending" out of what was ultimately adultery made justified by an abusive relationship. Yikes.
5. The Strength of the King, by Marci Lewellen & Sharon Karns. This is a must read. I know this because my incredible friend & her mom wrote it. They are super talented, passionate & the list of awesomeness goes on. I ordered mine & have just started it (so it counts for 2011) - Across the nations, God is pouring out his spirit to bring his Church into unity and strength. One important response to this outpouring is a mobilization to walk out James 1:27 and Malachi 4:6. Jesus told his disciples, “If you have seen me you have seen the Father.” It is time for the Bride of Christ to open her arms to the widow and the orphan in such a way that they can say – when I see and know you, I see and know the Father. (The paperback is $12 bucks so go on and get it here
6. Not For Sale by David Batstone. This was a re-read for me and a good look into the global slave trade that exist today. A difficult & necessary read.
7. The Help. This was so much fun to read and obviously the movie was just as good.
8. Redemption: A True Adoption Story by Tiffany Larson. I read this book in January last year before it was available. It is beautiful & all proceeds go to the Orphan Justice Center. It has just become available. It has the most beautiful illustrations & the story is such an amazing and simple truth. You can get it here

No comments: